Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Lifestyles of the Snitch and Amos...School Daze edition!

So, the kids both started new schools yesterday morning.  Kindergarten and 3K, as we call it!  I turned my back on the kindergarten class made it two steps and lost it!  The ugly cry commenced, but as least my son didn't see it! 
I am a believer in breakfast being the most important meal of the day.  I believe the kids think better, behave better, and have a healthier appetite throughout the day if they have a nutritious breakfast.  Now, don't assume that I've never thrown a pop tart in the back seat and told them to eat, and eat quickly.  I have, but I try my best to be organized enough in the morning that they eat well.  This may mean sacrificing other things (such as a clean kitchen before I leave the house or unmade beds), but it is worth it.  Everyone has to decide how to allocate their time and what takes priority...or, maybe you're a supermom and can cook breakfast, clean the kitchen, make beds, and get your children and self ready.  I'm working on it...that's all I can say!  Ahem!
So, who's a Waffle House fan?  I am, I am!  On the way to a triathlon in Decatur with some dear friends we stopped at Waffle House a few weeks ago.  Jack had never been to the Waffle House and this was proof that, although he acts "growny", in fact he is not yet in college!  He loves eggs, so I ordered the cheesy eggs for him, my personal favorite.  I watched how the cook made them and thought..."I can so do that".  So, I did!
So our first day of school menu was:
Fresh Cut Fruit
Cheesy Eggs
Whole Wheat Toast
Yogurt
Here's what you'll need:  Eggs (I do 2 per person, but you may want more), Milk, Cheese (whatever kind you want, I used American, my least favorite cheese, but it melts easily), salt and pepper, butter (of course), Bread, vanilla yogurt.
Crack eggs in bowl (you can do this with just egg whites if you want), put about a Tbsp of milk per 2 eggs, salt and pepper to taste and whisk together until well scrambled.  Melt half a stick of REAL butter in a skillet and pour in entire egg mixture.  Tear 3 pieces of cheese in half and place on top of cooking eggs.  Mix until eggs are cooked and cheese is melted and combined (the cheese melts and becomes part of the eggs).  Cut your fruit in dippable sticks or slices.  Put yogurt in a cup that is easy for dipping fruit.  Toast bread and plate food...Easy, breezy!
What's on the breakfast menu for the rest of the week?  Tuesday:  Whole grain Peanut butter toast and a banana, Wednesday: Waffles with fruit topping, Thursday: Egg in a hole, Friday: fruit and granola parfait (using left over fruit topping from waffles). 
It really doesn't take that much more time providing kids with brain food vs. bad behavior food (high food coloring and sugar content) and it is something we can do as parents to help them put their best foot foward, everyday.
To celebrate the end of the first day of school we had a slip and slide party of two and I made steak and mushrooms, boursin potatoes, and salad, with brownies for dessert.  Unfortunately, my husband is out of town, so he didn't get to enjoy one of his favorite meals, but I ate enough for two (no, I'm not trying to tell anyone anything). 
If you are in the mood for a steak dinner and money is kind of tight, this is wonderful alternative. 
What you'll need to feed four:
4 Thin strip or sirloin or chuck steaks (I prefer strips).  I lucked up with 4 for $6.00!
1 1/2 lb. of white mushrooms (quartered with stems on. remember don't wash, wipe your mushrooms)
1 stick of butter
Garlic salt and pepper
Oil
1/4 cup of worcestershire
1/4 cup of water
Seasoned salt
Baby Spinach
Chopped Tomatoes
Crisped Bacon, crumbled
Ranch dressing
3 lbs. petite red potatoes, washed and quartered
1 pint of heavy cream
1 5 oz. package of Garlic and Herb Boursin Cheese
Chopped Chives

First, put your cut potatoes in a casserole dish and salt and pepper to taste.  Heat cream and cheese in a pot until cheese is melted, then pour cream mixture over potatoes and bake at 350 for 1 hour.
Half way through potatoes cooking, melt stick of butter in a skillet.  Add mushrooms and seasoned salt liberally and brown them.  When mushrooms are brown, add worcestershire and simmer until almost all of the liquid is gone (this means the mushrooms have almost completely absorbed it).  Then, add water and simmer until mushrooms are tender to taste.  In another skillet, heat a Tbsp of oil.  Put garlic salt and pepper on steaks (both sides) and skillet cook the steaks to your liking.  When potatoes are cooked, remove them from the oven and top with chopped chives.  Place one steak on each plate, top with mushrooms (I want a mushroom for every bite).  Put a handful of spinach on the plate, top with chopped tomatoes, bacon, and ranch dressing. Then serve every plate a portion of potatoes.  Yummy!  Even my children eat this meal, without mushrooms.  The kids can help prepare the meal by washing the vegetables and potatoes before they are cut and mixing the ranch dressing (yes, we use the packets, instead of the bottles).  It was the perfect end to a good first day of school.
The music that accompanied our meal last night?  I tried to listen to some Marc Broussard, but the little one's wouldn't have it!  We went through Victoria's entire disney princess song repertoire and Jack singing "Mac and Cheese sticks" to the tune of "Like a G-6".  He really thinks those are the words!
I think my kids should start their own show:  Lifestyles of the Snitch and Amos.  Juice Box Wishes and Cracker Dreams!
Love,
Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment